Wrong-site surgery can have shattering and life-long consequences for a patient. If you have been hurt because of a wrong-site surgery, you need to reach out to an experienced Syracuse medical malpractice attorney who can help. At DeFrancisco & Falgiatano Personal Injury Lawyers, we are committed to holding negligent medical professionals accountable for the harm that they cause.
One of the most shocking forms of malpractice is a wrong-site surgery. Wrong-site surgeries are a type of medical malpractice and considered to be very serious surgical errors. In fact, a wrong-site surgery is considered a “never event” because it is completely preventable and therefore should never happen.
Sadly, wrong-site surgeries are more common than you might expect. Data from the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO) reveals that wrong-site surgery is the third highest-ranking event for preventable medical errors, comprising approximately 15 percent of the total preventable medical errors that occur nationwide. In addition, JCAHO found that 76 percent of wrong-site surgeries were surgeries performed on the wrong body part, while the other 24 percent were split between operations using the wrong procedure or operations on the wrong person. It is estimated that wrong-site surgeries happen 40 times a week on average.